Thursday, July 06, 2006

A lonely Drive

The road is dark without any lightings and the only light is from the headlight beaming from the car which I'm driving. Although a little tired I may be but I'm satisfied with the food I had just and It's one of those delicious seafood which needs long distance of travelling into some remote kampungs.

I've been driving for about 30 minutes from the sea front restaurant and i know that there's still quite sometime to go before reaching the nearest town where the road will be easier to drive by. All i can see surrounding me is darkness thanks to the plantations by both sides of the road.
I had my faithful radio for my company which ease my driving and prevents me from sleeping in such a boring drive. Falling asleep will sure spells disaster as this roads is lonely and not much car pass by here.

From time to time, i take a habitual glance on my mirror to keep check of any coming vehicle on the back or whatsoever. But then, no signs of any lighs which would means there's any car that would keep me company. As I was driving, I feel the air conditioner temperature dropping steadily and i slowly fell the cold, then chill.

“It must have been the constant accumulation of cold air brought to the interior of the car that must have result in this” I thought.

I then off my air con as the cold is getting more and more intolerable. However, the chill still persist and it does not seems that long as tonight is consider a hot night. I then notice something wrong somewhere. My hair at the back of neck tends to stands and I felt something is behind me which makes me quite uncomfortable. Nothing else changes though and i keep driving as usual trying to ignore these changes. As i once again took a glance of the rear view mirror, i saw an image of a passenger at the back of my car which makes me look back again.

I was shock to see that and that explain the chill and also the hair raising phenomenon. I do not know what to do but only to drive on until reaching the nearest town which takes another hour to reach. I try to pretend being oblivious of the additional passenger in the car but then it doesn't allow me to do so.

“You know i'm here, aren't you” a deep stable voice spoke.

I was startled and look at the rear view mirror again. I see nothing but a shadow of what looks like a man.

“Yes, I sense you are here.” I answered followed by a brief pause.

“I can give u a lift but please do not disturb my driving” I continued.

It doesn't respond and throughtout the whole drive to the nearest town, the chill remains and I still see the shadow there on my rear view mirror.

“Thank you for your kindness. You shall be repayed in due time” the voice spoke again which once more, makes me jumped. I didn't reply but was just hoping to reach the nearest town as soon as possible as there's only another 30 minutes before I reach.

Shortly, i feel the temperature of the interior begin rising and became normal again which prompted me to took another glance of the rear view mirror. I was relieved. It has gone. And i continued to drive on until i reach the nearest town where the roads are brightly lit.

After a few days, I was told by my mum that she won first price for buying my number for her weekly lottery. I then recall the voice and I thank him in my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home